Wednesday 28 August 2019

Hyperemesis for what feels like forever…

Hi everyone,

This blog has been really useful and this seems like a really supportive community so I wanted to share my story, in the hopes for some advice or being able to help someone else out!

I’m 23, and currently 22 weeks pregnant with my first baby.

I have worked since I was 14, and I knew I was pregnant before I missed my period because I suddenly started feeling sick every single day and not eating – which was unusual for me! At the start of my pregnancy, I thought it was just morning sickness, but by week 8 of my pregnancy, I had to give up my job as I started feeling really faint and wanting to be sick whenever I stood up for more than 5 minutes or so.

It turns out that this wasn’t normal and I was diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum, which is basically excessively feeling and being sick. It can also cause fainting, and the more my pregnancy has gone on, the more of a recluse and a terrible mum I’ve felt because I can barely stand up or walk anywhere without fainting and/or being sick.

I still live with my mum and my boyfriend lives close by, and they’ve been helping me, but they also keep saying I can’t keep staying in bed – and I know that… I don’t want to stay in bed! 

My boyfriend insisted on taking me for a walk the other day to get me some fresh air, (I know he was trying to be helpful and encouraging!) but I walked about 50 steps before feeling faint and needing to sit down. I ended up being violently sick on the pavement, and lots of passers-by were staring because I’m quite slim so I don’t look pregnant so I probably looked crazy, and my boyfriend had to give me a piggyback home. I also fainted in town a few weeks ago, I managed to get myself to a bench to sit down but I woke up with a lady holding my legs in the air to help me feel back to normal! It was so embarrassing and I was on my own again. Luckily some lovely people were around and gave me a biscuit and a cup of tea and walked me back to my car!!

Anyway, the nurses are now starting to worry about my blood pressure and something called ketosis, which is worrying me. My baby is healthy and I am having super regular check-ups to make sure everything is ok with her, but I’m not sure how much longer I can cope with being sick and not keeping food down! 

I feel exhausted and like a terrible mum already, and I haven’t even had the baby yet! But as long as my baby stays healthy and we manage to move out and get everything sorted before her arrival, I’ll be happy. Here’s to the next 18 weeks and I hope things get better!!

The post Hyperemesis for what feels like forever… appeared first on It's Handmade.



from It's Handmade https://www.itshandmade.co.uk/hyperemesis-for-what-feels-like-forever

No comments:

Post a Comment